In the food and beverage industry, ensuring product safety and quality is of the utmost importance. From raw materials to finished products, every step of the production process must be carefully monitored ensure compliance with regulatory standards. One critical aspect of this process is documentation. Proper documentation of ingredients and their sources is essential for maintaining product safety, quality, and traceability.
When seeking new ingredient sources, there are many considerations that procurement professionals must make prior to determining a source for their materials. Quality and safety are among the most important factors when considering where to source your ingredients.
There are several common documents used to communicate food ingredients’ quality, safety, and traceability. Below are some of the most common documents used in the food and beverage industry:
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS): This document provides information on the potential hazards of an ingredient, including physical, chemical, and toxicological properties.
- Certificate of Analysis (COA): This document provides information on the quality and purity of an ingredient, including the results of tests for contaminants and impurities.
- Allergen Statement: This document identifies the presence of common allergens in an ingredient, such as milk, wheat, soy, or nuts.
- Country of Origin Declaration: This document provides information on where the ingredient was sourced or manufactured, which can be important for food safety and quality control.
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP): This document outlines the standard operating procedures and quality control measures used during the manufacturing of the ingredient.
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) plan: This document outlines the steps taken to identify and control potential hazards in the production of an ingredient, ensuring that it is safe for consumption.
- Product Specification Sheet: This document provides information on the physical and chemical characteristics of the ingredient, such as its color, odor, taste, and texture.
American International Foods, Inc., has your product safety in mind. We understand that quality and safety are top priorities for manufacturers when seeking new ingredient sources. We consciously vet each of our material suppliers to ensure they exceed safety standards set by the USDA and maintain complete documentation for each ingredient we offer. Thorough documentation ensures the safety and quality of ingredients for our clients,
To see a full list of documents we provide to our clients, click here.